Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cooking

I LOVE cooking. I probably make homemade meals at least 4 times a week. I love trying new recipes, and found this amazing website that has TONS. It called foodgawker.com. I will usually try out the recipie, then take away or add other things to make it the way I like it. One thing I made recently was this chocolate cake:



Chocolate Buttermilk Cake with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting




The picture from the website looked like this:




So I am not that professional yet, but I think it probably tasted just as good! Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1 cup (250 ml) water
125 g unsalted butter, chopped
1/3 cup (35 g) cocoa, sifted
2 cups (300 g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda, sifted
2 cups (440 g) caster (superfine) sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 160° C (325° F). Lightly grease 2, 18 cm round cake tins and line with parchment paper.
Place the water, butter and cocoa in a small saucepan over medium heat and stir until the butter has melted; set aside.
Using a fine-mesh sieve, sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Add sugar and whisk to combine well.
Add the cocoa mixture and whisk to combine. Add the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and whisk to combine.
Divide batter evenly between the 2 cake tins. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in centre of cake comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.


Cream Cheese Frosting:


100 g unsalted butter, softened
500 g cream cheese
2 cups (320 g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar, sifted
1/2 cup (50 g) cocoa, sifted

Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment and beat on medium-high speed for 6 to 8 minutes or until pale and creamy.
Meanwhile, using a fine-mesh sieve, sift icing sugar and cocoa into a medium bowl. Repeat an additional 2 times.
Reduce stand mixer to low speed and gradually add the icing sugar, cocoa mixture.
Increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat for a further 6 to 8 minutes or until light and fluffy.

The directions were a little weird (I think the lady was from England) so I had to look up the conversions from grams into tablespoons. Also, the frosting was a little to cream-cheesy. Next time I would probably do less cream cheese. It was delicous though! Definately would make this again.

3 comments:

  1. Kevin is always talking about how excited he is about the dinners you make or how awesome something was that you cooked. I'm jealous, I love cooking but am not good at it, and felt like I never improved. So I haven't cooked for like 6 months. Maybe I will check out that website. And by the way, I don't know why you had to convert those measurements...who DOESN'T know how much 125 ml of milk is ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you love to cook! Too bad we don't live close to each other anymore. I LOVE to cook and live for it. I'm always experimenting. Some is great, some is okay, some gets thrown away :) But it's great to have a passion for something. The kitchen is my sanctuary. I had no idea you loved to cook so much. Do you have a flirty apron? If not, have Kevin who gets to benefit from all your awesome cooking, go get you one at the mall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you have a recipe in front of you its not too hard! I'm not that good either, I just find good recipes : ) And yes Jami, I have a cute apron that I got from a bridal shower and I actually wear it! lol. I just saw a couple of cakes that you made recently, they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete